Monday, July 25, 2011

Mosquitoes

The mosquitoes in Iqaluit are numerous and large, however they are also very slow which makes them easy to kill. When it is windy they struggle to fly so you can for the most part enjoy a walk without constantly waving a hand around your face. Some of them are very strong fliers though, last night it was blowing a gale but one still managed to seek me out as I took the dogs outside for their bed time toilet. As I type I am trying not to scratch the itchy bump it left on my arm just before it died. On windless days you walk around with a black cloud swarming all around you. Some people wear mesh full face hoods, sort of like bee keepers. I opt for a liberal application of Eau de Camping (aka Off) which seems to do the trick. Happily I do not react as badly to the mosquitoes up here as I did to the one that got me on the wrist at the golf course in Kahnawake - those Mohawk mosquitoes are vicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment