Thursday, August 4, 2011

Best Before (but perfectly acceptable and a fraction of the price after) Dates

At lunch time today I popped into NorthMart to grab some Caesar salad dressing (I like the Renee's roasted garlic yogurt one). Just opposite the entrance is my favourite section, the "specials". Most of the time they are not very special, just a convenient place to dump a pallet of goods and possibly tape a piece of paper with a price to it. Or more often, place (not tape) a piece of paper with a price on the product, but no other information, and then laugh when the paper blows off the various products and the customers stand around in small herds trying to match up the product and price. I am most happy when this area is used to sell out of date groceries to make room for newly arrived fresh items.

The astute shopper can pick up 12 cans of soda for $5, last week Blaine took advantage and filled the bottom shelf in the sealift room with cases of Tonic (for me and my Gin), Club Soda (for our whisky), Mountain Dew, Cream Soda, A&W Root Beer, Diet Ginger Ale (also for me) Pepsi and Dr Pepper. Imagine my excitement today when I saw Apple Cinnamon Cheerios for less than $5! Behind that was a pallet of Multi Grain Cheerios and then another of Luck Charms, all for less than $5 a pack. You will recall from Monday's post that "Long Weekend Special" price is $12.69. I grabbed a pack of each and headed home for lunch, tempted to forgo the salad and have a bowl of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios instead. The Lucky Charms are for Blaine, there is something about those funny pieces of dehydrated marshmallow. On my way home tonight I am going to stop and get some more, I think there might have been some coffee reduced right at the back of the section too...

Given my new found love of expired groceries I thought I would do a little research. According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency I am not putting myself at any risk.

You can buy and eat foods after the "best before" date has passed. However, when this date has passed, the food may lose some of its freshness and flavour, or its texture may have changed. Some of its nutritional value, such as vitamin C content, may also be lost.

There is a medical condition prevalent in those born in Nunavut or who have lived here too long, whereby they suffer an extreme reaction, sometimes full blown anaphylaxis when eating fresh food. It would appear that the intensity of the flavour and the freshness of the product is just too much. A good friend of mine not only prefers but exclusively eats expired food, I believe the term is expiritarian. This subculture is so widespread here that I have heard there is a store in town which actually buys in already expired foods, seriously I read it on the internet.

*I made that last paragraph up

1 comment:

  1. Expiritarian. Yes. I believe this was a serious consideration when Nutrition North was in the works.

    ReplyDelete