Wednesday, September 14, 2011

S'Mores Pizza

I can hear all my non North American friends saying what is a S'More? It is such a staple of North American childhood and camping that the three people in whom I confided my S'Mores virginity screamed "What do you mean you've never had a S'More?" in disbelief. The name S'More is thought to be a contraction of the words some and more because once you have had one you will want some more. It consists of a marshmallow roasted over the campfire and then sandwiched along with a thin piece of chocolate between two Graham Crackers. What is a Graham Cracker, well not like anything else really so use digestives instead.



Last night I wanted to celebrate my new KitchenAid mixer by making up a batch of pizza dough, a task that my previous mixer doesn't relish performing. But I also wanted something sweet, then I remembered reading a recipe for S'Mores Pizza in my Guy Fieri cookbook . The pizza dough recipe that I like is from my Jamie Oliver's American Road Trip book. I use half bread flour and half plain flour only because bread flour is hard to come by here. The motor on my 575 watt mixer only started to get hot when the dough was ready which was fine by me.


I let the dough prove for about 40 minutes while I prepared my S'More ingredients:
  • plain chocolate
  • marshmallows
  • toasted almonds
  • Graham Cracker crumbs (yes you buy biscuits ready crushed in North America) mixed with melted butter and a little chipotle pepper

After the dough had almost doubled in size I used my ulu to cut it into quarters. Jamie says his dough recipe is for two pizzas but I make four out of it and still find the crusts plenty thick enough. I attempted tossing the dough but it never works for me so I sort of pull and stretch it instead. While my Canadian friend Nancy provided cultural guidance via FaceTime I cooked the plain base. Closely supervised I scattered the toppings in order - chocolate, marshmallows, nuts then biscuit/chilli mix over the hot base then put it back in the oven for less than 5 minutes until it looked about right.
 

Blaine got home shortly after the finished product came out of the oven and was pleasantly surprised by my baking adventures. He tells me that it was even better than the original S'More. I found it almost orgasmically good and swear I was on a sugar high all day today from the residual sugar levels.

2 comments:

  1. Somehow it amused me to hear about a s'mores pizza cut with an ulu - what a fusion of cultures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want s'mores pizza!

    ReplyDelete