Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ice Puppies NU

With the windchill it is -37C (-35F) this evening but there is not enough snow for skidoos yet so we are still playing on the quads. My skidoo has heated grips, my quad does not. I layered up with thermal socks and Sorel glacier boots, fleece track pants under my snowboard pants, a long sleeve T-shirt and a hoodie under my trusty Canada Goose jacket, a fleece toque under my full face helmet, and finally fleece mittens under my sealskin mittens. Johnny has been pretty pathetic recently so he too got dressed up in his Muttluk boots and padded jacket, Sage is hardcore so she went naked. Blaine is fairly hardcore so he wore normal clothes under his snow pants and CG jacket.

Suitably attired we drove the two blocks down to the beach where we let Sage off to run the kilometer or so down to sealift beach. Sage was so excited when we got there that Johnny's feet hadn't even hit the ground before she had him by the neck for some canine wrestling. The dogs played while Blaine did donuts on the ice then we took a moment to admire the broad green smear of the Aurora Borealis. Johnny has learned the hard way that is he wants up on the quad or the skidoo he needs to come jump on my foot, he gave the signal and I hauled him up then we drove home. Now we are nice and warm on the couch watching Ice Pilots NWT - laughing at how we used to think they were insane for living in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment