Sunday, January 30, 2011

T minus 1

The shipping company comes tomorrow to pack up our house and Little Emma and her friend Bella are competing in the first gymnastics competition of the season so this weekend is a whirlwind of activity. 

Friday night was physical testing which involves sprints, climbing the rope, chin ups, splits, hand stands and other torture. The girls both got silver and in my professional opinion Shalla gets a triple gold star for the best hair.

On Saturday Blaine had to go to work for a stoopid Board meeting so he left early. I made scrambled eggs with Bella Bella smoked salmon on everything bagels which the adults thoroughly enjoyed. The girls kinda pushed theirs around the plate so Sheldon ate theirs too. Next task on the list was taking the Suzuki back to Best Buy because the remote locking they installed during the week only worked on 2 of the 3 doors rendering it useless for its primary function of walking the dogs. I became aware of this deficiency on Friday evening when I tried to take the dogs for a walk and couldn't open the back door to let them in. They were not impressed. I clearly articulated my displeasure to the store manager. With the girls tucked in the back seats of the Mustang and Shalla and I enjoying the heated front seats we set off for Club Aviva, stopping en route at Bread Garden for the girls to breakfast on blue Gatorade, fruit salad and chocolate cake. I dropped them all off at the gym and went to Winners while the athletes warmed up. Yes I did use the A word because that is what they are called by the parents and assessors (not judges, assessors) there is a lot of language to learn in the world of gymnastics. 

While Shalla and I were subjected to sitting on plastic chairs in a cold smelly gym, Sheldon was replacing our bedroom windows. He needed to get some supplies so I skipped out of gymnastics to meet him at Home Depot as it seemed a little unfair to make him pay for the stuff too! As we were loading up the truck I got a message from Nancy who had arrived at Club Aviva so I headed back but sadly had missed the girls' turn on the beam. We then dutifully clapped as each athlete was called up to receive their award (there are no losers, everyone gets at least a bronze) climb on the podium and 'present' so that their proud parents can photograph the moment. 

Next on the agenda was Ikea... an evil place at the best of times but utterly insane to tackle on a rainy Saturday afternoon. The hot dog line up was 10 minutes, but so worth it for the 2 hotdogs and a soft drink for $2.50. Shalla checked the kids into the kid compound and we set about buying black out window blinds, light bulbs, bathroom accessories and other stuff for our mysterious Iqaluit townhouse. $400 later we loaded all the shopping into Nancy's car because it wouldn't fit in the Mustang and she kindly drove my purchases home for me! Back at the house Nancy, Shalla and I attempted to relax while the girls ran around the house with Johnny in hot pursuit barking all the time. Nancy had to go but Shalla and I had to stay :-(

Sunday morning and the boys are going to finish the windows so Shalla, Bella, Emma and I are going to walk the dogs then go to Build a Bear... wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment