Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Johnny establishes a routine

The kids and I are settling in to our new home and finding a routine. I am amazed that Johnny wakes up at 6:20 am, the same time he did in Vancouver - how does he know the time? I get up and feed them and then they go outside for a quick pee. On work days I then put their boots on and we go for a walk on the beach, on the weekend that can wait until after my breakfast. The sunrise this morning turned the bay a beautiful shade of pink as they frolicked in the snow undettered by the -30 temperature.

Back in the house it is mummy time! I have my coffee, some breakfast and get ready for work while listening to the radio (no TV yet). The kids go out again for 2 minutes then get penned in the hall way (no carpet) and I head off to work. The walk takes me about 20 minutes which is lovely in the sun, if I don't feel like walking a taxi is $6 and takes about 10 minutes from when I call to when I arrive at work. My colleagues informed me that the best taxi company is 979 4444 and it seems to work just fine for me.

Because Blaine is away this week I am cabbing home at lunch to let them out. I finish work at 5pm and either walk or cab home, feed the dogs and take them for a 30 minute walk. 9:30pm is last pee then they go to bed. Repeat...

The unpacking continues:
I found the cutlery late Saturday evening, in a box labelled spices;
After opening multiple boxes in the guest bedroom, office and main bedroom I was able to make the bed with a complete, matching sheet set by 9pm on Monday;
On Sunday morning I found a clock radio for the bedroom;
Monday night I found a second clock radio so can listen to the radio upstairs too;
The many Ikea lamps and lightbulbs are bringing a welcome soft-light alternative to the flourescent lighting and accompanying hum that graces every building in Iqaluit.

No comments:

Post a Comment