Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Call me immodest but I totally rocked Christmas dinner. On Monday I mixed up fresh thyme, rosemary and clementine zest with lots of butter which I then rubbed under the skin of our 12lb turkey. I also baked some soft white bread rolls.

Christmas Day I started cooking at noon and didn't stop until 6pm! The bird  was covered and roasted at 200 for 3 hours with the 2 clementines cut in half and placed in the cavity along with a handful of fresh thyme. 

We like lemony Greek potatoes so much that we eat them at every opportunity and the citrus was a nice refreshing flavour amongst the richness. 

For veggies I made Blaine's favourite green beans, fried in garlic, butter and olive oil, glazed carrots, and steamed Brussels sprouts. For stuffing we had the last of Shalla's yummy stuffing which I had frozen on thanksgiving, and a pork, apple and sage sausage inspired by Gordon Ramsay. Finally we had a big jug of turkey gravy.

For desert I made a peach cheesecake. The base was 200g biscuit crumb and 75g butter. The filling was made by whipping together 4tbsp caster sugar and 250ml whipping cream. Beat 250g of full fat Philadelphia cream cheese until soft, add 1tsp pure vanilla extract and then whip in the whipped cream until it is smooth. Stir in some finely chopped peaches, pour onto the base and chill. Easy as pie!

We drank prosecco, Viognier and Malbec then sank into the hot tub. Merry Christmas everyone!



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment